Technical Production Manager
The Technical Production Manager will work closely with the various departments and project team to deliver innovative technical solutions to a project. The Technical Production Manager has sole technical responsibility for a project, or part responsibility for a larger project, from brief to execution; understanding and questioning the brief, scoping the project and allocating the necessary resources and budget to bring the technical elements of creative ideas to fruition.
About the team
At the core of a truly memorable experience lies a brilliant idea. Which is why we are focused on being ideas-led in all we do. What’s more, we believe that compelling creative is anchored in strategic insight, cultural and artistic notions, global trends and to us are without fail designed to the highest aesthetic expectations. The people responsible for the delivery of our creative design work are first and foremost guardians, then Technical Production Manager. Guardians who strike the perfect balance between the best interests of the client, their brief and those of DLE. They help answer client briefs with the most innovative solutions that are as stunning as they are on point, on brand and on budget.
Check out our website! https://www.designlabexperience.com/
What will you be doing day-to-day?
Technical Production Management
- Query the brief, scoping of the project and allocation of the necessary technical resources and budget.
- Guide the development of integrated technical solutions across the Audio Visual, Digital, Interactive spaces that leverage our offering and are mutually beneficial for the client and the company.
- Research and the compilation of a library of suppliers within AV and other relevant technology providers.
- Work closely with the producer, architect, and creative partner to deliver award winning projects.
- Ensure that a technical / production brief is developed to support the big idea and brief partners and suppliers effectively.
- Oversee and coordinate the staging of lighting, sound, video, rigging and other equipment and assets, as required.
- Collaborate with team members, partners, and suppliers to ensure all technical solutions address the project need in budget and on time.
- Participate in creative brainstorms to generate ideas for clients.
- Build and maintain supplier relationships, negotiate general and project specific agreements, establish an extensive and reliable network, monitor supplier performance and review network or suppliers, crew, technicians, and operators.
- Manage and own the Health & Safety and Insurance process ensuring documentation is in line with policies and all processes put in place are always adhered to.
- Set up and undertake comprehensive site inspections (often accompanying clients).
- Monitor and review construction and mock-ups of set items and environments, including all scenic, AV and mechanical staging elements.
- Oversee all technical elements in production and on site, including installation, get-out, and management of on-site personnel.
- Collaborate with team members to drive forward the creative process, ensuring that the technical solutions remain faithful to the approved concept.
- Prepare work schedules and assign personnel to meet production plans.
- Ensure quality standards are adhered to and proactively seek to develop innovations and opportunity to streamline processes in your line of work.
- Maintain inventories of relevant materials and equipment; identify and assess inventory requirements, and make and/or recommend purchases, as appropriate.
- Assist client lead in providing clear communications to the client.
- Manage technical project process from planning to production, fabrication, installation, derig and reconciliation.
- Ensure clear communication to the Producer and team regarding roles and responsibilities, scope, budget, schedules and project status/action items.
- Ensure regular team meetings take place and manage technical production related communications between team members, ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Coach and oversee junior team members on execution of all individual job details in your remit.
- Develop talent of junior team by providing challenging assignments and ongoing constructive feedback.
- Recommend best freelance and internal talent for the project and support resourcing requirements.
- Embrace and enhance company internal systems, processes and quality.
- Support the creation and maintenance of project budgets, project acceptance forms (PAF), project change notices (PCNs), invoices as well as overall project reconciliation.
- Liaise and negotiate with suppliers, venues and other service providers to maximize margins.
- Translate costs to a sell price with appropriate detail to the Producer to be communicated to the client.
- Develop and actively manage vendor/ freelance talent relationships to ensure best available talent and pricing.
What kind of person are you?
- You have at least six to eight years technical experience in theatre or the production of events and brand experiences, including, but not limited to live events, art installations, pavilions and high-luxury installations
- You have robust experience of working in and delivering projects across the Middle East
- You are able to think outside the box, figuring out solutions, working with our architectural and creative departments helping them to transform ideas into reality that can be delivered on budget and on time
- You have exceptional knowledge of operational, creative / design, digital, technical and logistical aspects of event production
- You have the ability to construct and manage complex technical budget segments
- You are experienced in content, film, video and digital development and production
- You are very familiar and comfortable with technology in general, a desire to remain informed of current trends and improvements, and the ability to communicate highly technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- You have a sound understanding of the principles of architectural plans, design implementation and space planning (CAD user)
- An in-depth knowledge of health & safety legislation, regulations associated with access, fire prevention, people movement, people capacity is essential, and is willing to follow all safety measures
- You are experienced in technical backstage, stage management, FOH set up and performance production
- You are up-to-date with customs regulations for the transportation of technical equipment overseas
- You are very experienced in scenic, environmental, and print production with a keen eye for an exceptionally high-level finish
- An appreciation for design, architecture, beautiful aesthetics and a desire to reflect the design attributes that the team have imagined for a project is essential.
- Theatrical and architectural lighting solutions is a specialty of yours
- You are highly organised with exceptional project management, administration, organizational and communication skills, as well as flawless attention to detail.
- You take responsibility and are in control
- You are unfazed by tight deadlines and conflicting priorities and remain calm and collected under pressure and tight deadlines, while working on multiple projects simulatniously
- You are process driven, organized, methodical, and analytical with an eye for details and a passion for excellence in everything you do. All delivered with a sense of humour
- You are able to work in a team or alone, and communicate easily while being a trusted technical advisory within the team
Your projects could be private and public events, installations, pop-ups, brand experiences or experience centers.
Designlab Experience is a multidisciplinary design and production agency, creating one of a kind artistic journeys that challenge convention and harness the power of innovation. Founded in 2006, we produce multi layered immersive environments globally from our offices in Dubai and Beirut. Our ambition is singular. We elevate experiences and orchestrate moments that engage, resonate emotionally and mesmerize audiences. We collaborate with international artists and visionaries and are proud of our renowned network of strategic partners, supporting us in the delivery of complex, large scale projects for both public and private clients. The foundation of our work is always based on a complete understanding of our client s vision and a meticulous approach to creative design, deeply rooted in cultural insight and global trends.
Our team brings together a wealth of skill and talent in the fields of architecture and design, custom construction and fabrication, intricate audio visual installations, scenography and theatrical performances, creative technology innovations, narrative development and experience journey planning. We apply this expertise to our end to end project delivery, bringing spectacular ideas to life.